The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Rivalry continues with ‘Tangy

Rivalry continues with Tangy
Emily Koehrsen

The boys basketball team took on rival Olentangy on Dec. 8. This marked one of their biggest home games of the season as the rivalry has been around for the past 6 years. 

“Main campus” is the title Olentangy High School holds for themselves. When Berlin opened, Olentangy titled Berlin the “little sister school” and some had to move into Berlin. Due to that bitterness and the close proximity of the two schools the cross town rivals came to be. 

With the basketball season in full swing the big game crept up quickly. It was the talk of the school the entire week and led everyone to the big moment. The gym packed quickly and buzzed with smacktalk between the two schools. As the game began everyone was able to tell that It was about to be a close game. Many watched from the edge of their seats in anticipation.

“Since Olentangy is one of our main rival schools, you could feel the tension from the moment you walked in. The game was so back and forth that it was anxiety-inducing,” Maddie Franz ‘24 said.

While many watched from the student section or the bleachers, there was a group of students that watched from a different perspective. The Berlin journalism department always has a heavy presence at many different events, but this game marked the first of many with Multi-Media’s newest project. 

The DoubleBlue Sports Network was created at the start of the year and has thrived since then. With a successful show on the school broadcast, the class set out for a new project, basketball game live streams. With the help of the Olentangy Local School District technology team, they were able to bring their vision to life. 

Throughout the gym you could see the whole production come together. While in the student section you could look around and spot all the setups. With their main camera they are able to pan across the entire court for full coverage. A new addition that came along for the big game was a sideline camera. Whether there was a big play about to occur or a student section chant, they were able to capture those moments in a closer light. The big talk of the production is the live play by play commentary. The entertainment of it all brings many viewers and talk to the stream. With about 100 viewers for the big game the DBSN members are happier than ever. 

The opportunity of this class has been a great experience for many. While some are on track to head to college, this creation has put them ahead.

“It feels very special [to be creating the livestreams]. We’re such a great district with the resources and mentors to help us accomplish what we want to. This is such a special opportunity and skill set that will set us apart from our peers at the college level,” Addie Kearns ‘24 said. 

Although the Bears fell to the Braves 58-62, the game was jam packed with unforgettable moments and new beginnings. You can catch the boys basketball team at their next game in Newark on Friday Dec.15.