The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Nominations for ‘Barbie’ cause controversy

After fans saw who wasn’t nominated for awards at the Oscars, it sparked big controversy. 

The ‘Barbie’ movie was nominated for many awards which included, “Best Picture,” as well as, America Ferrera for “Best Supporting Actress,” and Ryan Gosling for “Best Supporting Actor.” But despite the nominations, fans still believe that actress Margot Robbie and Director Greta Gerwig were snubbed.  

“But there is no Ken without Barbie, and there is no Barbie movie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally-celebrated film,” Gosling said, in response to the nominees for “Best Director” and “Best Actress.” 

Now, it’s important to note that Robbie and Gerwig were nominated for awards; Gerwig for “Best Adapted Screenplay” and Robbie for “Best Picture,” but fans still believed that they deserved to be nominated for “Best Actress” and “Best Director.” 

“Greta has done just about everything that a director could do to deserve it… Creating this world, and taking something that didn’t have inherent value to most people and making it a global phenomenon. It feels disappointing to not see her on that list,” Ferrera said. 

Although Robbie and Gerwig did not receive the awards they had hoped for, ‘Barbie’ still had a significant impact on those who watched it. Fans still rave about the film almost a year later, and viewers will remember the messages passed and portrayed throughout the movie. 

“Women filmmakers telling all different kinds of stories that resonate in different ways in the culture is the goal. I would love to see even more female-directed movies on the list and to see more female directors acknowledged for making the best cinema of the year,” Ferrera said.