The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Repeat in Phoenix: UConn cuts down the net

March Madness officially came to an end as top seeded UConn took down fellow one seed Purdue 75-60 in the National Championship, which earned the Huskies its second consecutive national title. 

The win made UConn the first team since Florida in 2006-2007 to win back-to-back championships, according to the Associated Press (AP). 

“I just think it’s the best two-year run in a very, very long time, just because of everything we lost from last year’s team. To lose that much and do it again, it’s got to be as impressive a two-year run since at least prior to Duke,” UConn Head Coach Dan Hurley said after the game, according to AP. 

It’s hard to disagree. The Huskies finished the year 37-3, winning 27 of its last 28 games (only loss was at Creighton on Feb. 20), and won all of its games by double-digits in the tournament, according to ESPN. 

In the championship game, UConn held Purdue, one of the nation’s best three-point shooting teams, to 1-7 from three-point range, just 14.3 percent. On top of that, besides seven-foot four Purdue star Zach Edey (who had a whopping 37 points), Purdue only had 23 points. 

The combo of Fletcher Loyer, Braden Smith, Lance Jones, and Mason Gillis for Purdue had just 21 points, with Braden Smith responsible for 12 of them. The four of them shot a collective 6-22 (27.2 percent) from the field. 

“The whole game plan was no Smith, no Loyer, no Jones, no Gills,” Hurley said, according to AP. 

If people thought last year’s UConn team was good, this team was perhaps even more impressive, especially after the talent UConn lost from last year’s team. 

Overall, a truly dominating two-year run by UConn, capped off with two national titles and a combined 69-11 record.