The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Plant based proteins make their way to the cafeteria

As of this school year, the cafeteria food options have become more exclusive for those with plant based diets, and those who prefer to not eat meat. 

Having a unique diet compared to the majority is really hard when people don’t acknowledge it. Lunch time in the cafeteria is especially hard, because the main courses are typically meat based. But, as of recently, those of us with plant based diets have been taken into consideration, and the cafeteria now offers options like vegetarian burgers, and plant based chicken patties. 

“I think it’s really great because it adds diversity for people who don’t always get to eat the full meals at lunch because of the meat,” a sophomore student said. 

The students of the vegetarian and vegan community are very appreciative of these new options, because they can finally leave lunch feeling fulfilled. Students go on a plant based diet for many reasons. Whether its health issues, taste preference, or morals, they all deserve to be considered. As society evolves, people are becoming more and more considerate of other diets. No singular diet should constantly be favored and catered to. 

“I am personally a vegetarian, and as weird as it sounds it always sort of hurts my feelings that people never really thought about people who don’t eat the same as them,” a sophomore student said. 

The new change in the school’s cafeteria is very much appreciated. Always make sure to think of others’ diets when choosing a restaurant, or hosting, because it makes a great difference! Thank you to the lunch ladies for providing more options for us.