The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

French Club celebrates Mardi Gras

French club members pose with their hand-made masks. They chose to attend the meeting after school instead of before the school day started.
Rachel Bjorkman ’24

As Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, is a very popularly celebrated festival within France and French culture, the Berlin French Club celebrated the holiday before and after school on Feb. 14. 

Mardi Gras is celebrated on a Tuesday, forty-seven days prior to Easter Sunday every year before Lent. Lent is a period of time when Catholics traditionally fast or give up a desire. The majority of these desires are often associated with sweets or unhealthy food. Ash Wednesday is the first day of this period and Fat Tuesday is prior in order to gorge or “get rid” of the food they aren’t able to have. However, instead of a religious holiday, the holiday became a day of festivals and joy to those of all religions within France and other countries.

In honor of the festivals, the Berlin French Club brought in cupcakes, cookies, and King Cake as well as hosted activities for its members and anyone who wanted to come. Beads were given out to all who walked through the streamers that decorated the doorway. After a short presentation that explained the origin of Mardi Gras, the members engaged in card games and board games. 

With the addition of cupcakes and cookies, King cake was served with a hidden baby inside. Customarily, King cake is a dessert given out on Mardi Gras with the baby as a hidden “prize.” Whoever finds the baby is expected to host the next party. Found in the last piece, Giana Ray ‘24 was declared to have that responsibility. Of course, this is not the expectation at the meeting, but would be customary in France.

The French Club also had art supplies and masks available to have members create their own and decorate it as they wish. The mask decorations are often to prepare for masquerades and other accessories are used as well to dress up for celebration.