The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

NFL week one creates upsets and miracles

Photo courtesy: Flickr
Photo courtesy: Flickr

Millions of people watched this weekend as their favorite teams competed for the first week of the NFL season. 

The first regular season game of the 2023-24 NFL season kicked off on Thursday, as the Kansas City Chiefs faced the Detroit Lions. This was the first of multiple upsets this weekend, as well as last-minute touchdowns and other exciting moments. 

Sunday held the majority of the games, the first eight games started at 1:00, five games followed at 4:05 – 4:25, and the final game started at 8:20. The final game of the first week was Monday night when the New York Jets beat the Buffalo Bills on a punt return in overtime! 

Along with the first games for some rookies, multiple veterans stepped up to the plate to lead their teams with confidence. One of these veterans was Aaron Rodgers. Within his first four snaps of his career with the Jets, he was carted off the field after a suspected torn Achilles. As you can imagine, this left Jets fans with despair and sadness, as Rodgers was supposed to be the change that the team so badly needed. After multiple scans, Rodgers announced he tore his Achilles and that he would be out for the rest of the season. 

“[I was] devastated, I thought they were gonna go far,” Joe Beaumier ‘24 said. “Especially after watching ‘Hard Knocks’. Yeah, it’s just sad.”

As some teams face challenges, other teams face bright futures. The Dallas Cowboys beat the New York Giants by a whopping 40 points. The Cowboys’ defense also shows optimism for the rest of the season, as they shut out the Giants to no points, at all! 

The next week of games starts this Thursday at 8:15, as the Minnesota Vikings face the Philadelphia Eagles. Tune into ESPN and other sports networks to watch these games live.