The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Mental blocks exhausts Bears

Unsplash

Mental blocks are apparent in many aspects of a student’s life.

In sports, academics, and other various activities mental blocks thrive. They eat away at an athlete or student’s confidence which makes it difficult to complete school work or a certain athletic move.

A mental block is a psychological obstacle that prevents optimal performance of a task. Some victims are not aware of their mental block which further decreases their performance, according to Believe Perform. 

Many Bears experience mental blocks in academics which includes Elizabeth Sprecher ‘24. When her schedule becomes hectic and overwhelming she faces burnout which can relate to mental blocks. Sprecher loves all of the creative projects she takes on but it starts to take a toll on her.

“But now bombarded by numerous projects, projects that I am passionate about, I still become overwhelmed,” Sprecher said.

To combat this, Sprecher pencils in a day where she can decompress. Mental blocks sometimes are a result of stress whether from the mental block or from another outlet, according to Sage Neuroscience Center.

Another way to fight this mental struggle is to acknowledge its presence, according to Believe Perform. Many students and athletes stay in denial which continues to fuel that blockage.

One of the main causes of mental blocks is how they focus. People who are internally focused continually focus on sports or school work without distractions. This community is more prone to mental blocks as they are constantly focused on that task. 

External focus is when people concentrate on that particular skill while they perform it and not perpetually, according to Believe Perform. This reduces the risk of mental blocks as it minimizes performance anxiety and the overanalysis of a certain skill.

To learn more about mental blocks, visit the American Psychological Association.