The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Stanley owners stress over lead concerns

Many Stanley cup owners were alarmed when lead poisoning prevention activist Tamara Rubin exposed the high levels of lead found in the button on the bottom of the cups. Is this a cause for concern over the popular tumblers?

Lead is a naturally occurring toxic element that was often used in paints and plumbing materials before the danger of the metal was revealed. It was recognized for its malleability and ability to strongly resist leakage. Due to this, it’s used to seal Stanleys and some other tumblers to create a vacuum-tight seal (which keeps the water cold or hot for long periods of time). However, lead can be extremely toxic to humans.

Lead poisoning can cause a wide variety of symptoms, which range from gastrointestinal issues to seizures and even pica, which is a craving to eat nonfood items such as rocks or paint. 

So why does Stanley use lead? Is it really worth the risk? The lead itself is locked into a pellet in the button on the bottom of the tumblers and is not exposed to the water whatsoever. The only way lead could potentially cause issues is if the bottom button is damaged, which is very unlikely.

What many people don’t realize is that toxic metals are used every day, and can be quite helpful when utilized safely. For example, many manual thermometers use mercury because it expands with warmth and can accurately predict temperatures, and cadmium is used in batteries. So long as used safely, these items are helpful and necessary. The Stanley Cup is no different; there is a small risk of exposure, but it should not be the cause of hysteria.

Therefore, Stanley owners shouldn’t worry about possible exposure as long as their cup is intact. And the stainless steel that makes up the cups makes them much more resistant to damage, so the owners of these beloved tumblers can continue to hydrate safely.