The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Berlin boys get ready to rough and tumble

Berlin Takes The Trophies - Sophomores look at Berlins past wins and trophies earned throughout Berlins history. This display is located in the Commons. 
Photo Courtesy of Bex Toth
Berlin Takes The Trophies – Sophomores look at Berlin’s past wins and trophies earned throughout Berlin’s history. This display is located in the Commons. Photo Courtesy of Bex Toth

The boys wrestling season is about to start, and the boys prepare to grab a win for Berlin. 

Their first scrimmage was on Saturday, Dec. 2, and their first match of the season is on Dec. 9. 

“We have a dynamic team that will have success due to their hard work,” assistant coach Tyson Porter said. 

The boys have strong leadership to help them be their best, and finish first. Head coach Josh Heffernan comes back for another season, bringing with him assistant coaches Korey Keplinger, Tyson Porter, Joshua Pace, and Lucas Moore; All coaches also teach here at Berlin. 

“This year marks the largest wrestling team in Berlin’s history, with 60+ kids,” Porter said. 

With all the boys, comes the need for more stats. New stats this year include Mal Callison ‘27, Sasha Makarova ‘27, Layla Van Winkle ‘27, Cailen Lawrence ‘27, and Bex Toth ‘27. 

“I’m looking forward to the season, and the learning experience it will bring. It sounds like a fun time and Mr. Porter is an awesome teacher, so I know the season will be great,” Van Winkle said. 

Many of the boys returning are district qualifiers, and there are enough boys for a Varsity A, Varsity B, and JV schedule. Captains this year are Peter Emery ‘24 and Luke Martin ‘24.

“We are going to be working on the leadership of these boys, and we have big hopes to win OCC, Section Title, and District Title,” Porter said. 

They have been practicing since mid-November and Porter says the team looks strong and ready. 

“This will be a successful season I think,” Porter said. 

Make sure to check the Berlin sports website for events, and come out to support your boys wrestling team.