The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Crew advances to MLS semi-final

Photo courtesy, instagram @columbuscrew
erin_bush
Photo courtesy, instagram @columbuscrew

By: Eli Baxter ‘25

The Columbus Crew advanced to the Eastern Conference final match on Dec. 2 against inner-state rival, FC Cincinnati.

In the second round, the Crew traveled to Orlando, Florida to face the second seeded Orlando City. The Crew came back to Columbus with a 2-0 win against the Lions. The teams went into extra-time after a scoreless first 90 minutes. The game consisted of incredible defensive play from both sides.

After only three minutes into extra-time, forward Christian Ramírez put the ball into the back of the net after a great pass from midfielder Aiden Morris. Forward Cucho Hernández struck the ball past the Orlando goalkeeper with only two minutes left to give the Crew a brace and secure the victory.

Other notable Columbus performances include Man of the Match, goalkeeper Patrick Schulte. Schulte made many saves in extra-time to help the Crew secure their victory.

The Crew will travel down I-71 to face their rival FC Cincinnati in a “Hell is Real” rematch. The last time these two faced, the Crew dominated FC Cincinnati in a 3-0 win in Columbus. 

“The intensity increases Saturday night at TQL Stadium (6 pm ET | MLS Season Pass), when bitter rivals FC Cincinnati and Columbus Crew clash for the right to host MLS Cup presented by Audi on Dec. 9,” according to MLSsoccer Staff.

Cincinnati’s midfielder Luciano Acosta was named the 2023 Landon Donovan MLS MVP after an impressive season. Cincinnati will be missing defender Matt Miazaga after the MLS suspended him for three games after an altercation with a New York Red Bulls player in the first round.

“The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended FC Cincinnati defender Matt Miazga for three matches and issued an undisclosed fine for his misconduct following FC Cincinnati’s match against the New York Red Bulls on Nov. 4,” according to MLSsoccer staff.

They will battle for a spot in the MLS Championship match against the winner of the LAFC and Houston Dynamo match.