Field trip turns deadly

Photo Courtesy: Virginia Football Facebook. Teammates continue to honor players that have tragically lost their lives. A vigil was held for students to honor the players.

Jocelyn Franz

The sports community sends thoughts and prayers to the University of Virginia football team and students at the University.

Late Sunday night, a former football player at the University of Virginia was suspected to have killed three football players and wounded two more students.

The University of Virginia’s football team mourns the loss of junior receiver Lavel Davis Jr., junior receiver Devin Chandler, and junior defensive end/linebacker D’Sean Perry. The suspect has been identified as Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. Jones was listed as a freshman running back on the team’s roster in 2018.

The shooting took place on a charter bus as the students returned from a field trip to Washington D.C. to watch a play. Police chief Tim Longo said during the news conference that the university’s multi-disciplinary threat assessment team was notified by someone that Jones commented that he had a gun on campus in September. Jones’ roommate told the university that he had not seen a weapon in their room.

On Monday night, thousands of Virginia students and community members gathered for a vigil on the South Lawn of the campus. The university canceled all classes, other academic activities, and the men’s basketball game that were all scheduled for Monday. The athletic department announced on Tuesday that Virginia’s game against Coastal Carolina has been canceled. This was supposed to be the last home game of the season for them.