The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Buckeyes Fall Short to the Team up North

The University of Michigan Wolverines hockey team took on The Ohio State University Buckeyes this Friday in rivalry action. 

With a talented roster, and the incentive of three consecutive losses against other Big Ten teams, the Wolverines came to Columbus and defeated the Buckeyes in a tight two goal game.

The Buckeyes came into the weekend ranked last in the Big Ten conference, and sported a 1-13-2 record in conference play. In non-conference play however, the Buckeyes had been much better, with an 8-0-2 record. The Buckeyes came into the weekend off of a rather slow start to the second half of the 2023-2024 season, and were 0-5-1 in their last six games played, according to Ohio State.

The Wolverines’ skilled line-up proved too costly for the Buckeyes squad, who on paper had a significantly less talented roster. The first line alone for the Wolverines consisted of three players who all attended and started for team USA at this prior year’s World Junior Championship. Additionally, each of their first line’s forwards all have amassed over a point per game this season. Suffice it to say, the Wolverines were heavy favorites prior to puck drop in Columbus on Friday, according to USA Hockey.

The Wolverines’ Tyler Duke, who actually attended and played for Ohio State a season prior, was the first to etch his name on the score sheet. Michigan would go on to score two more unanswered goals, before the Buckeyes quickly responded with two of their own to make the score 2-3. The Wolverines did have three power play chances that they were unable to convert on, which was uncharacteristic for their nation leading power play squad. Even more surprising considering, the Buckeyes penalty kill percentage does not even land them in the top 50 of NCAA schools.

“Sometimes the puck goes in, sometimes the puck doesn’t,” Warren said. “I think we had good looks. I think our power play has been really dynamic all year, … but that’s just the way the cookie crumbles,” graduate player Marshall Warren said, according to the Michigan Daily.

Wolverine defenseman Tyler Duke, who originally comes from Strongsville Ohio, is just one Wolverine with Ohio connections. Wolverines fellow blue liner Luca Fantilli is the younger brother of Columbus Blue Jackets young star, Adam Fantili. 

The Buckeyes were unable to get the desperately needed game-tying goal to put them back in a chance to win, which forced them to pull their goalie with just over 2 and a half minutes remaining in the game, to give themselves an extra attacker. This gave the Wolverines the chance to capitalize and seal the game in their favor. With this, the Wolverines excitedly celebrated their way off the ice,  the fourth victory in a row under their belt against the Buckeyes.