The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Columbus returns to the pitch

Columbus returns to the pitch
@columbuscrew instagram

The defending MLS Cup champions, the Columbus Crew, start off the 2024 campaign on Feb. 21 as they host Atlanta United in MLS Season play.

The Crew will also compete in the second ever Leagues Cup, which is MLS and Liga MX merger. After winning the MLS Cup last season, the team will skip the group stage and automatically qualify for the knockout stage with Liga MX Champion Club América. Columbus also qualified for the CONCACAF Champions Cup. They will play the winner in the Houston Dynamo, St. Louis City SC aggregate in a home and away aggregate. 

To begin the MLS Regular Season, the Crew has the third best odds in MLS to wi..n the MLS Cup back-to-back season with +900 odds. They trail the Lionel Messi side Inter Miami, as well as the 2022 MLS Cup champions, LAFC. 

Although Columbus might not have the top odds to win the Philip F. Anschutz trophy in back-to-back seasons, they sit atop the MLS power rankings to begin the season.

The Crew’s roster will look a little different from last season has they had added many new players but also have released multiple players from last season. The Crew released US National team midfielder Julian Gressel who was later signed by Inter Miami. Columbus also released Kevin Molino, Isaiah Parente, Jake Morris, Brady Scott, Gustavo Vallecilla and Jimmy Medranda. In return they signed the Guatemalen goalkeeper Nicolas Hagen, former Charlotte FC midfielder Derrick Jones, Columbian midfielder Marino Hinestroza and gave Taha Habroune a first team contract after he progressed through the Columbus Crew player pathway.

Wilfried Nancy will lead the Crew into battle for his second season as the head coach. The Crew will play their interstate rival, FC Cincinnati at home on May 11th and will travel down I-71 to TQL Stadium on Sep. 14 

To watch any Crew games, spectators will need to purchase the MLS Season Pass on Apple TV or purchase game tickets.