The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Columbus Crew secures MLS Cup

Columbus Crew secures MLS Cup
Columbus Crew Instagram

Columbus Crew secured the MLS Cup after their 2-1 victory over the defending champions, LAFC on Dec. 9. 

After their impressive win against FC Cincinnati, Columbus carried a lot of momentum into their MLS Cup championship match against LAFC at Lower.com Field in Columbus. LAFC looked to defend their 2022 MLS Cup Champions title as they cruised through their previous playoff games to make it back to the finals.

Through the first 45 minutes of play, Columbus dominated both sides of the ball. They obtained 75 percent possession of the ball through the first half. The Crew scored the first goal of the match after a penalty kick scored by Cucho Hernández in the 33rd minute. Only a few minutes later Yaw Yeboah scored after an assist from Malte Amundsen. Columbus carried their 2-0 lead into halftime, according to MLS.com.

To start the second half, LAFC came out more aggressive than they did in the first half. LAFC  attacker Denis Bouanga got a goal back for LAFC in the 74th minute of play. 

For the rest of the game, Columbus held onto their lead to win the MLS Cup. Columbus have won their second MLS Cup in four years and are the third MLS club to win three MLS Cups, according to MLS.com.

The Crew will be back in action in Feb. 2024 when they compete in the CONCACAF Champions Cup against other qualified clubs from North America, Central America and the Caribbean according to CONCACAF.com.