The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Hell Is Real” playoff matchup breaks through ticket cost barrier

Photo courtesy of Flickr
Photo courtesy of Flickr

One game is all that separates the Columbus Crew from the MLS Cup on Dec. 9. A dream matchup against Ohio rival FC Cincinnati is set for Dec. 2 in a river named “Hell is Real’.”

On a Christian Highway Billboard on Interstate 71 between the domains of the Crew and FC Cincinnati, the rivalry was birthed with the words “Hell is Real.” Since the recent birth of this Ohio battle, the Crew led the series with a 7-3-5 record. However, the growth of FC Cincinnati has grown stupendously as they are atop of the MLS standings with 69 points.

“It doesn’t damage what I have done,” sign developer Jimmy Harston said. “I am sure the Lord is using it for what it was meant to be.”

The matchup comes to a head as both teams are in the top of the MLS and in incredible form, they lost only one game in their last 10. In their last matchup on Aug. 20, the Crew made a statement, dominating the Lions 3-0 with a goal from star Columbian Cucho Hernandez. Hernandez is behind only Denis Bouanga for the most goals in the MLS this season with 20.

“Cucho is mobile, he’s technical, he’s skilled enough to create his own shot, and he’s clever enough to find space off the ball to either shoot himself or set up a teammate with a quality chance,” MLS Analyst Joseph Lowery said.

On the south side of Ohio, Argentinian midfielder Luciano Acosta has paved their path to the top of the league with 18 goals. With his low center of gravity, Acosta can turn out of tight spots, accelerate forward, and break into key attacking areas. Acosta was silenced in the first “Hell is Real” match but has the quality to make a difference in the playoff battle.

“Everything flows through Luciano Acosta – this year’s Landon Donovan MLS MVP – for FC Cincinnati,” Lowery said.

With the two Ohio powerhouses set to face off to punch their ticket to the MLS Cup, ticket prices in TQL Stadium have shattered playoff standards. According to the Columbus Dispatch, prices for SeatGeek start at $158 and Ticketmaster at $175. With those as the cheapest entry to the match, there is an expected record number of viewers on Apple TV’s stream. The average ticket price for a playoff game is $45-60, this rivalry smashes that standard. The two hottest attacks in the MLS draw more eyeballs than other matchups and this game has everything on the line.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the ticket prices range from $158 to over $1,000 for each ticket. Since the MLS has rapidly expanded and gained over 5.4 million followers across social media, the viewership has been grander than ever and the price that fans are willing to pay has skyrocketed. In a match between Chicago and Inter Miami on Oct. 4, the record ticket sale revenue was shattered as Chicago Fire pulled in upwards of 10 million dollars of revenue. This playoff rivalry will not be far off that record mark.