The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Week 7 prompts college football predictions

Photo courtesy of Flickr
Photo courtesy of Flickr

As the college football season reaches its midway point, the excitement in the season rises, as a bunch of top-ten and undefeated teams battle. 

The slate starts on Friday, as Fresno State plays Utah State and will continue all the way to Saturday night with USC and Notre Dame.

#1 Georgia (6-0) vs. Vanderbilt (2-5)   

Georgia hasn’t had a strong defense of their national championship, but luckily for them, they will face a woeful Vanderbilt team that has struggled against Hawai’i and UNLV. Expect the Georgia backups to be put in the second half. Predicted Final Score: Georgia 52, Vanderbilt 7.

#2 Michigan (5-0) vs. Indiana (2-3)

Michigan has gotten out to a fast start, while Indiana has struggled against lower competition, which includes a narrow victory over 1-4 Akron. It would be expected to see Michigan stars J.J. McCarthy and Blake Corum shine in this Wolverine win. Final Score: Michigan 48, Indiana 7.

#3 Ohio State (5-0) vs. Purdue (2-3)

In this game, Ohio State will hope to get over its historical slump at Purdue, which includes five losses at Ross-Ade since 2000. However, Purdue, led by first-year coach Ryan Walters has struggled through the start of the season. So, while Purdue is expected to play hard, Ohio State will pull off the victory. Predicted Final Score: Ohio State 35, Purdue 17.

#4 Florida State (6-0) vs. Syracuse (4-2)

Excitement is through the roof for the ‘Noles, who have finally returned to national prominence, led by Heisman hopeful Jordan Travis. They will have to face the Syracuse Orange, who have come off a beatdown loss against North Carolina. Expect Florida State to win, but Syracuse to bounce back and give some fight. Predicted Final Score: Florida State 38, Syracuse 24.

#6 Penn State (5-0) vs. Massachusetts (1-6)

Penn State will receive a good tune-up game against a weak Massachusetts team who have lost six straight games. Expect the backups to be out early in a big blowout win. Predicted Final Score: Penn State 59, Massachusetts 7.

#7 Washington (5-0) vs. #8 Oregon (5-0)

This will be a really good game, as both teams have Heisman-hopeful quarterbacks and have blown past the rest of their competition. Expect offensive fireworks, in what could be a preview of the PAC-12 Championship. Predicted Final Score: Washington 42, Oregon 38.

#10 USC (6-0) vs. #21 Notre Dame (5-2)

Notre Dame continues the gauntlet of their schedule, as they will host the 2022 Heisman trophy winner Caleb Williams. However, the main concern for the Trojans will be if their defense holds up against a Sam Hartman-led Notre Dame offense. Expect this game to see heavy offensive action. Predicted Final Score: USC 45, Notre Dame 38.

#11 Alabama (5-1) vs. Arkansas (2-4)

Arkansas has struggled in the recent stretch, as they face a tough schedule that will embark them to face Alabama. However, Alabama hasn’t impressed recently, despite their records. Expect Arkansas to fight hard, but Alabama to pull away with the victory. Predicted Final Score: Alabama 38, Arkansas 21.

#12 North Carolina (5-0) vs. #25 Miami (FL) (4-1)

North Carolina Quarterback Drake Maye’s Heisman campaign hits its first major test, as they play the Miami Hurricanes, who have one of the worst defenses in the country. The Hurricanes will have to bounce back after they gave up a last-second Hail Mary to Georgia Tech. This will be an offensive game with fireworks across the board. Predicted Final Score: North Carolina 52, Miami (FL) 34.

#14 Louisville (5-0) vs. Pittsburgh (1-4)

The Louisville Cardinals have risen in the rankings after a massive win over Notre Dame. They will have to face the Pittsburgh Panthers, who have struggled with Quarterback issues. Expect Pittsburgh to come out fiery, but Louisville to hold on to the win. Predicted Final Score: Louisville 37, Pittsburgh 14.

#15 Oregon State (5-1) vs. #18 UCLA (4-1)

UCLA has shot into the rankings after a win over Washington State, led by their run game. They will have to face Oregon State, who also heavily relies on their ground attack. Expect it to be a close game, but with the running backs totaling a lot of yards. Predicted Final Score: Oregon State 23, UCLA 14.

#16 Utah (4-1) vs. California (3-3)

While the Cal Golden Bears have started out decently, they have to face a gauntlet of a schedule, as they face four ranked teams in the next four weeks, which includes Utah. The Utes hope to get their quarterback, Cam Rising back from injury, as they hope to play football for the first time in a half year. Predicted Final Score: Utah 41, California 20.

#17 Duke (4-1) vs. NC State (4-2)

NC State will have to find out their offense, as they travel to face one of the best Duke teams in recent memory. Duke, who is led by their quarterback Riley Leonard will have to bounce back, after their loss against Notre Dame. Both teams will likely show offensive fireworks, but expect Duke to pull away. Predicted Final Score: Duke 45, NC State 20.

#19 Washington State (4-1) vs. Arizona (3-3)

The electric offense of Washington State will host the Arizona Wildcats, who have come off a narrow loss to USC. However, Washington State has also come off a loss, as their electric offense led by Quarterback Cameron Ward struggled. Expect a bounce-back game for the Cougars, but for the Wildcats to give some fight. Predicted Final Score: Washington State 52, Arizona 28.

#19 Tennessee (4-1) vs. Texas A&M (4-2)

After their loss to Florida, Tennessee has responded with a few steady wins, led by their quarterback, Joe Milton. However, they will face Texas A&M, who took Alabama to the brink with their backup quarterback. Expect this game to close, but for the Volunteers to pull off the win. Predicted Final Score: Tennessee 34, Texas A&M 21.

#22 LSU (4-2) vs. Auburn (3-2)

Last week LSU had their biggest performance of the season, as they knocked off a ranked Missouri team, led by their dominant quarterback, Jayden Daniels. They will have to face the Auburn Tigers who nearly upset Georgia. However, if Auburn wants to win, they will need to pass the ball well, which is something they have struggled with this season. Expect this game to be close and for points to fly across the board. Predicted Final Score: Auburn 38, LSU 34.

#23 Kansas (5-1) vs. Oklahoma State (3-2)

The Kansas Jayhawks are hopeful that their superstar quarterback Jalon Daniels will come back from injury. However, they will still be in good hands with Jason Bean, who led a blowout over UCF last week. They will have to face Oklahoma State, which after a shaky start with a blowout loss to South Alabama, has bounced back against Kansas State. Expect Kansas to show offensive fireworks, but for Oklahoma State to stay in the game. Predicted Final Score: Kansas 37, Oklahoma State 24.

#24 Kentucky (5-1) vs. Missouri (5-1)

Both teams will have an opportunity to bounce back after they both lost last week. Kentucky, led through a superb ground game that stars Ray Davis will face Missouri, which has a strong passing offense led by quarterback Brady Cook. The winner of this game will likely be which team’s defense steps up. Predicted Final Score: Kentucky 31, Missouri 27.