Princess Diana’s legacy lives on 25 years after her death

Photo courtesy of AP Images by Aurelien Morissard

AP

Brooke Henrey, Photo Editor

Twenty-five years after her tragic death, the late Princess Diana is remembered for her commitment and kindness to others. 

Princess Diana died in a car crash on August 31, 1997, at the young age of 36. People around the world were stunned to hear of the well loved Princess’s death. The shock of Diana’s death produced an outpour of sadness and condolences from people around the globe.

Princess Diana’s youngest son, Prince Harry, spoke about the anniversary at a charity event in Aspen, Colorado.

“I want it to be a day filled with memories of her incredible work and love for the way she did it,” he said. “I want it to be a day to share the spirit of my mum with my family, with my children, who I wish could have met her. Every day, I hope to do her proud,” Harry said.

Diana’s legacy continued to carry on after her death. She was known as the people’s princess. Unlike the royals before her, Diana devoted much of her time and energy into those who were in need. Her humanitarian efforts made many communities feel seen and respected.

“While being involved with philanthropic causes has always been part of the royal family’s duties, Diana took things a step further, traveling the world to refugee camps and soup kitchens and making sure she was present wherever there was great need,” Angeline Bernabe from ABC News said.

Phoebe Durst, a senior at Olentangy Berlin High School, shared her love for Princess Diana.

“Princess Diana played such an influential part in the royal family and changed how people view the monarchy today,” Durst said.