The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Debate aesthetics

Debate aesthetics
Avery McBride ’25

There have been so many aesthetic shifts throughout the years, but are we moving too fast?

Every era has a style that represents it; from the 50s to the 90s, everybody most likely has a similar idea of what it should look like. We as a generation have been switching out aesthetics like we change clothes. We went through Y2K also known as the early 2000s and now we have moved on to 2014 with the mini skirts, tights, and bows.

Sooner or later we will catch up with ourselves, our generation has tried so hard to create an identity but instead, we have just resorted to using premade trends created by the decades before us. Along with that, the constant changing of trends and aesthetics is similar to that of fast fashion where it moves so incredibly fast we can’t keep up with it.

I believe that instead of constantly creating new aesthetics that everyone follows, we each make our own, one that doesn’t require wearing things that make you uncomfortable. We can wear what makes us comfortable without being worried about not being within the current trending aesthetic that the majority of us fall victim to.

Walking around school, I see bows and UGGs worn by every girl trying to keep up with the trends. Now I’m not saying we should get rid of trends but we should put less pressure on it, and encourage the representation of unique styles.

Do you think we should continue pressuring the masses to fit in one box? Or should we allow individuality to shine through?