The Student News Site of Olentangy Berlin High School

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

The Berlin Bulletin

Poll

This poll has ended.

Best place to be during spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Bears enter state football playoffs shoulder to shoulder

As Friday approaches and the state playoffs are down to 16 teams, all eyes are focused on the Bears as they face Dublin Coffman at Westerville Central at the regional semi-finals.        Shoulder to shoulder, the football program has grown tremendously in size this season. They started with 55 players when the building opened and expanded to 86 players.
The Bears have created traditions that will last forever. An honored tradition amongst the school and team was the “Big Blue Hammer” started by principal Todd Spinner. The school wanted an award to trade between schools for the winner of the rivalry Olentangy game.
“I know every great rivalry needs a trophy. Ours so happens to be the best hammer in the world,” senior Dominic Giannetto said.
While they enjoyed competition everywhere, home games were  favored by the team. The support from the student section and fans brought an energy that created a spirited environment.
“The best thing is playing in front of the student section and making big plays to hear them celebrate,” senior Bennett Arend said.
With highs and lows, the Bears find the team to be an extremely rewarding experience. The environment created by the team and coaches allows the players to learn and improve their game.
“The most rewarding part is the things I’ve learned this year and how much I’ve improved,” freshman Brandon Gray said.
After every game, win or lose, the school gathers to sing the alma mater as a family and celebrate a great community with great traditions.