Why do only certain teams get student sections?

Photo Courtesy: Ashley Mallon 23

Photo Courtesy: Ashley Mallon ’23

Ashley Mallon

For many athletes the sound of fellow peers and classmates cheers while they play is one of their motivators for success, but not every sport and team gets that opportunity. 

If you were to go to a football or boys’ basketball game, the stands would be packed with students that brought support and enthusiasm with them. These sports do tend to bring in the most revenue for the school. I feel as though money should not be a factor in what sports get followers. 

Many other sports, predominantly girls’ teams, have fewer fans in the stands. As America’s Most Spirited High School, the Bears have taken pride in the themes, commitment, and morale that happens in the cave. Just like a vast majority of other American schools, there have always been partialities on what games the student section attends.

The boys’ basketball team played an away game on the same night that the girls’ team played at home. The cave followed the boys’ team to the away game, and left the lady bears to play at home with a smaller support group. Time and time again women’s sports teams and athletes have been taken for granted and overshadowed by the men’s teams of the same sport. 

There have also been some sports that in general do not get the same amount of attention and attraction as others. The amount of work and effort that teams like gymnastics, swimming, and cross country put into their sports deserve the same amount of support. 

I think there should be a new precedent that the cave should spread to a wider variety of games and teams. This will allow for inclusiveness and a stronger sense of community at Berlin, and hopefully, influence other local schools to follow suit.