Young voter turnout shocks Congress

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

Mackenzy Shoemaker

Midterm Elections were held on Tuesday, Nov. 8, with votes yet to be counted as of Tuesday afternoon. A sufficient number of Berlin’s senior class participated in this year’s historic election. However, the rest of the student body cannot do so. Why should students still care?

This year’s midterm election had a historic turnout by the younger Americans, which contrasts with previous years when one of the lowest voter turnout rates was the younger population. While turnout rates are higher this year, Hailey Akey 23’ has made it her mission to ensure it stays that way.

“I’ve always been passionate about youth civic education and decided to take advantage of the Midterm Election to demystify the process of voting, young voters have one of the lowest voter turnout rates, and I want to change that in any way possible,” said Akey, 23’.

To do this, Akey 23’ hosted a mock election for any students that wanted to participate and for history classes in the school. Students were met with an online perspective of voting. They could vote for any candidates who represent Ohio that they felt passionate towards. 

“I just want students to understand that voting isn’t a challenging thing-it’s actually pretty straightforward. Participation is integral to our democracy!” said Akey 23’. 

Students left the mock election with a new outlook on how simple it is to vote and their “I voted” sticker to spread the word about the Mock Election. 

In terms of the actual election, the results have been close. With a new turnout of young voters, results have been shocking as the control of Congress continues to be at stake for both parties. 

As of Tuesday, the Republicans have retained control of the House. However, the Senate’s control is still unclear as the race remains close with the Democrats in the lead. For the election to come to a close, one of the parties must reach 218 seats in the House and 51 in the Senate.

The Democrats remain 1 point away from 51 in the Senate, with the Republicans following close behind. The House has the Republicans in the lead, with one point away from the win. Also, the Democrats sit 12 seats back in the house, which leaves the Americans in anticipation of a win from the Republicans in the House. 

With the strong expectation to win from both parties, it leaves an air of question of how this may affect the president’s agenda in the future.