Berlin drumline creates culture

Photo Courtesy of Brad Bower

Photo Courtesy of Brad Bower

Sarah Scholl, Intro Student

The Berlin drumline is the heart of The Pride of the Bears and keeps the band together as it holds the beat. 

Danny Repko was in the drumline as a student and is now back as an assistant director. He had the opportunity to take part in the experience of the drumline and he really enjoyed it. 

The drummers’ connection with each other allows them to be the driving force of the band.       

“You have to listen and communicate to stay together,” Repko said. 

However, the connection between the drummers goes deeper than just keeping the band together. According to the drumline, friendship and teamwork play a huge role in their ability to play for the band.      

“It’s about more than just drums,” Repko said.  

The drumline must work as a team for the good of the whole and the members really get a chance to bond on and off the field. Repko’s favorite memories from high school were from the band.    

“The program has been such an important part of my life,” Repko said. 

Repko was redistricted to Berlin High School and when he got the chance to try out for the drumline, he jumped on it. He found himself in a new place surrounded by members of the drumline and enjoyed all of it. He loved the friendships, performances, and everything he learned along the way, but most of all, he felt a deep connection with the team. 

“I had an impactful moment, where it felt like home,” Repko said. 

Throughout high school, Repko wanted to find himself. The drumline gave him the opportunity to discover who he wanted to be. 

“I was finding the balance between standing out and fitting it,” Repko said.  

Repko found his place with the drumline.  

After he graduated, Repko was asked if he’d like to come back and help out with the drumline as an assistant director. Repko had such fond memories as a student and was thrilled to come back to something so special to him. He also had the opportunity to thank his previous directors for the family they had given him. 

“It gave me a chance to pay back Reeves and Jacob for all they had given me,” Repko said.

The Berlin drumline is known for its exciting energy and culture. Its spirit has been around since Berlin opened and Repko got to take part in it. He was pleased to see that it had continued on even after he graduated.

“It was crazy to come back and see what I helped start up, what it has become, and that the excitement was still going,” Repko said. 

This year’s drumline has been fond of Repko’s abilities as a director. He influences the drummers to be their best selves and always encourages the team. The drummers appreciate the help of such an important alumni, and the return to Berlin has also been important to Repko. 

“I have loved having the opportunity to be a leader and a role model,” Repko said. 

Overall, the drumline members take on their responsibilities to keep their passion strong. They not only focus on the music and connection, but growth. Repko had an important recognition of his growth alongside two other quad members when he was a student. 

“The contrast between the three of us at band camp and under the lights, was so impactful,” Repko said. 

Repko and the other students are rewarded when they see their growth throughout the season.  The drummers say there is nothing better than to hear the crowd roar, and that all of the long practices and hard work pay off when they get to see the Friday night lights.